Prblm with Tomcat 4.1.x & 5.x (but 4.0.x works)

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Sun Dec 12 02:59:20 PST 2004

Dear subscribers

I've tried to get Tomcat 4.1.x or 5.x to work on my FreeBSD 5.3 server,
unfortunately without success so far. The problem seems to be with the
Tomcat's bootstrap code. Whenever I start Tomcat, using the startup.sh
script, I get the following error, pasted below, in the Catalina.out log.
Note that it seems like the 4.0.x version works fine although I haven't done
any extensive testing, i.e. just tried the default page at localhost:8080.

This exception is thrown when starting Tomcat:

java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or directory
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:112)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:127)
	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:65)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.addRepositoryInternal(Standar
dClassLoader.java:1082)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.<init>(StandardClassLoader.ja
va:200)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(ClassLoader
Factory.java:202)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:140)
Bootstrap: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: addRepositoryInternal:
java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or directory
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.addRepositoryInternal(Standar
dClassLoader.java:1110)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.<init>(StandardClassLoader.ja
va:200)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.createClassLoader(ClassLoader
Factory.java:202)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:140)

I've installed Java according to the specification on the
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/x60.html
site which is a document I've found for installing Tomcat and the SDK seems
to be OK. The SDK I use is the linux-sun-1.4.2_05

Kind regards, Ola Theander