FreeBSD 5.1, Tomcat 5.0.19, which JDK?

Rowdy david at fielden.com.au
Sun Apr 4 15:08:36 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I hav been trying to get Tomcat to run on my FBSD 5.1-R system, but have
been experiencing the infamous:

SIGBUS    10*  bus error
Full thread dump Classic VM (diablo-1.3.1-0, green threads):

A (partial) portversion output from my system (hopefully including all
that is relevant) is:

diablo-jdk-1.3.1.0_1        =  up-to-date with port
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19       =  up-to-date with port
javavmwrapper-1.4           =  up-to-date with port
jdk-1.4.2p6_4               =  up-to-date with port
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.04      =  up-to-date with port
linux_base-7.1_7            =  up-to-date with port

A quick Google revealed that the solution for nearly everyone else with
the same error was to upgrade something (OS version, Tomcat, Diablo
etc.), however everything here is up to date, the server is cvsuped
regularly.

I wondered whether it was an issue with the Diablo JDK, but I couldn't
find an easy way of changing it, especially when the path to diablo/bin
appears to be hard-wired into tomcat50ctl.

I renamed the diablo directory and made a symlink from the jdk-1.4.2
directory to the diablo-1.3.1 directory, and restarted tomcat.

To my surprise it started just fine.  I ran thru a few of the examples,
left tomcat it running overnight, and the next morning (and, in fact,
the morning after that too) it was still running.

So the question probably is: does Tomcat 5 really *need* the Diablo JDK
or will it run fine with the other one?

Btw this is not a production server, just something for me to play with
at home, so high-availbility is not required, but the less maintenance
the better :)

Thanx

Dave