Tomcat remote debug

Brian Lloyd-Newberry newbeb at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 07:41:06 PDT 2003

Josepf,

   Included inline below are the environment variables defined in the
catalina.sh startup script that comes with 4.1.24. I don't use the port
so I don't know what tomcat41ctl calls, but I hope this will help.
Please note the JDPA_ options.

-Brian

# Start/Stop Script for the CATALINA Server
#
# Environment Variable Prequisites
#
#   CATALINA_HOME   May point at your Catalina "build" directory.
#
#   CATALINA_BASE   (Optional) Base directory for resolving dynamic
#                   portions of a Catalina installation.  If not
#                   present, resolves to the same directory that
#                   CATALINA_HOME points to.
#
#   CATALINA_OPTS   (Optional) Java runtime options used when the
#                   "start", "stop", or "run" command is executed.
#
#   CATALINA_TMPDIR (Optional) Directory path location of
#                   temporary directory the JVM should use
#                   (java.io.tmpdir).  Defaults to $CATALINA_BASE/temp.
#
#   JAVA_HOME       Must point at your Java Development Kit
#                   installation.
#
#   JAVA_OPTS       (Optional) Java runtime options used when the
#                   "start", "stop", or "run" command is executed.
#
#   JPDA_TRANSPORT  (Optional) JPDA transport used when the "jpda start"
#                   command is executed. The default is "dt_socket".
#
#   JPDA_ADDRESS    (Optional) Java runtime options used when the
#                   "jpda start" command is executed. The default is
#                   8000.
#
#   JSSE_HOME       (Optional) May point at your Java Secure Sockets
#                   Extension (JSSE) installation, whose JAR files will
#                   be added to the system class path used to start
#                   Tomcat.
#
#   CATALINA_PID    (Optional) Path of the file which should contains
#                   the pid of catalina startup java process, when start
#                   (fork) is used
#