jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

Radhika S radhika_narendran at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 05:50:26 PST 2003

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your mail.
To reference your points :

1. checked the log files, and jvm was core dumping almost
immediately.
2. put myself in group: www and gave group write
permissions.
3. I didnt see anything about ssl.

I build jdk1.1.3 using the port /usr/ports/java/jdk13 and
what this does is install 2 directories in /usr/local
drwxr-xr-x   9 root  wheel   512 Feb 11 21:37 jdk1.3.1
drwxr-xr-x   9 root  wheel   512 Feb 11 12:25
linux-sun-jdk1.3.1

my JAVA_HOME env variable had been pointing to
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1, I changed it to use the linux binary,
which was /usr/local/linux-sun...

and it worked. So it didnt like something about the freebsd
native binary. I do not kow if others have come across this
problem. My freebsd version is:
java version "1.3.1-p7"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.3.1-p7-jklowden-030211-12:38)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1-p7-jklowden-030211-12:38, green
threads, nojit)

The linux binary says:Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment,
Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_06-b01)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1_06-b01, green threads, nojit)

Maybe this can help someone who has a similar problem.

Thanks,
Radhika

--- Westbay Family <westbay at seaple.icc.ne.jp> wrote:
> On 2003.3.25, at 11:20  PM, Radhika S-san wrote:
>
> > bin/startup.sh, I notice the cpu and memory for the
> java
> > process start rising up and in about 2 minutes, the
> process
> > aborts adn i have a core file, java.core in my
> > $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.
> >
> > What am i doing wrong. I do not have another server
> running
> > on port 8080.
>
> These are the two things that I find are the cause of
> core dumps:
>
>    1.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/logs for a hint.  File access
> problems
>        are a common failure point.
>
>    2.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml to see if you
> have the
>        https connector enabled without having SSL
> properly setup.
>
> For #1, the port will install everything with the www:www
> user/group.
> That means that if you're trying to start as your logged
> in user, you
> generally won't have write permission in the logs (or any
> other)
> directory.  That will cause Tomcat to crash.
>
> If this is the case,
>
>      chmod -R g+w $CATALINA_HOME
>
> and be sure that your user is a member of the www group.
>
> For #2, follow the SSL enabling instructions explained in
> the
> tomcat-documentation (or something similar) context.  If
> it's on your
> local computer, you can browse the documentation
> directly.  If it's on
> a remote machine, lynx or w3m (both in ports) will allow
> you to view
> the documentation without having to startup Tomcat.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ---
> Michael Westbay
> Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
> Home:           http://www1.seaple.icc.ne.jp/westbay
> Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall