Opera and Java

Mattias Schlenker mattias at webweaver.de
Thu Jul 17 13:27:18 PDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Kees Jan Koster wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm a little stuck. In an effort to rid myself of the Windows
> installation on the dark end of my disks I signed up for the local
> Internet banking site (Postbank's Girotel Online, for the Dutchies among
> you) with the intention to move my banking operations to the same place
> where I keep my books: in FreeBSD.

> Pointing Opera to JDK 1.1.8 causes Opera do crash upon loading an
> applet. Installing the native JDK 1.3.1 causes Opera to not start,
> whining about the Java plugin. Using any of the Linux binaries for Java
> leaves Opera with no Java plugin detected.

Which FreeBSD are you running? 4.x or 5.x?

Both Java and the browser have to be built with the same compiler. I guess
the Opera guys are using some sort oft GCC 3.x for their Unix build, so
using the JDK built with 2.95.4 will crash the browser. I would not try to
build JDK 1.3.1 on a 4.8-STABLE box with GCC 3.x (on 5.1 it works).

> What a mess. Does anyone have a browser that works with Java and is
> modern enough to understand the more Microsoft-oriented Girotel site?

I guess Mozilla will do so. Build Mozilla and build the native JDK, both
with the same compiler in the same nicht. Then it will work. Build mozilla
1.4 (WITHOUT_CHATZILLA, WITHOUT_MAILNEWS, WITHOUT_LDAP, WITHOUT_COMPOSER)
and it will run nicely even on a 350MHz box.

Bye
Matt

--
 Mattias Schlenker  / Tel 0851 9441369 oder 0160 7352988
 Freyunger Str. 42 / http://webweaver.de/ilw/