Removing JDK completely ?

Nicolas Gieczewski nicolas at nixsoftware.com
Fri Dec 12 17:08:21 PST 2003

I was getting those too, more specifically signals 9, 10 and 11. These are often due to faulty memory or hardware. I used to get these signals when compiling big stuff on my older box, which turned out to have faulty RAM. You can also get them when your CPU is overclocked and unstable. I was getting these signals at random stages during my build of the JDK 1.4, and I tracked down the problem to Ultra DMA being enabled for my hard drive. It seems the old IDE controller on this old motherboard didn't like UDMA, as per syslog (which I found out much later, after trying all sorts of stuff). Reverting the hard drive to WDMA2 fixed the problem.

By the way, have you tried compiling the kernel? This is often a good way to check your system's stability. If you get these signals there as well, it's extremely likely that the culprit is your hardware.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Nicolas Gieczewski
Nix Software Solutions
http://www.nixsoftware.com/