Defaults in jail.conf not applied if jail block is not existing

James Gritton jamie at gritton.org
Fri Jul 19 22:01:48 UTC 2019

If I'm reading it right, then yes the behavior on creating jails if
intended.  The defaults in jail.conf are only defaults to the jails listed
in jail.conf, not defaults to command-line-generated jails.  So even if you
only include an empty block for the jail, it then is a jail.conf jail and
not a command-line jail.

For the non-persistent jail poststop scripts, the only way to run them
outside the jail is to have a process outside the jail to run them from.
Cron isn't a perfect solution, but a pretty workable one.  If your jail has
a single process that runs from start to finish (i.e. not something like a
typical "command=sh /etc/rc"), then you could simply have a subshell that
runs the jail and then runs the poststop script itself:
# (jail -c name=foo command=sleep 10; echo doing cleanup) &

You may be interested in the suggested patch for jail notifications in
devctl.  That way, a jail-watch process can tell when jails start and stop.

- Jamie