vnet NAT'd jails extremely slow, connection dies

Michael Grimm trashcan at ellael.org
Wed Feb 6 18:58:59 UTC 2019

Kristof Provost <kp at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> These are questions for anyone who's running pf on top of a hypervisor
> and has vnet or other jails, and has seen slowdowns.
>
> * What hypervisor are you running?

I do not know. It is a cloud hosted on OVH infrastructure in France https://www.ovh.co.uk/public-cloud/instances/technologies/
But I do not know which hypervisor they use, sorry.

> * Does the problem affect only the jails, or also the host system?

The host didn't show any slowdown. Only within a jail the performance drop dramatically.

> * Does it only happen with NAT, or with routed packets as well?

In my case it happens with NAT, never tried routed packets.

HTH,
Michael