Getting "Permission Denied" issues after migrating jails

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 14:33:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

Recently I migrated my jails onto a new ZPOOL as their old location
started filling up.

I used rsync -avvcrt --progress --remove-source-files /path/to/jail

to achieve this.

The Jails all start fine and some processes are working inside the jails
however, on certain things I'm getting permission denied issues. I'm
guessing this is to do with file system flags and unprivileged users??

An example is when trying to build or update a @Port inside the jail:

===>  Cleaning for gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1
pkg-static: unable to open vulnxml file /var/db/pkg/vuln.xml: Permission
denied
===>  gettext-runtime-0.19.8.1_1 has known vulnerabilities:

=> Please update your ports tree and try again.
=> Note: Vulnerable ports are marked as such even if there is no update
available.
=> If you wish to ignore this vulnerability rebuild with 'make
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'
*** Error code 1

certain services are giving the exact same issue when trying to start.

The closest I have come to figuring this out is:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/44052/

which suggests fixing the noexec flags. On the actual ZFS dataset the
exec=on parameter is already set meaning that this must be a local issue
and something to do with the "chflags" command but I can't recall or
even find any clue on which files to run the command on and parameters
to use in "man chflags".

Would someone have an idea on a fix for this?

Thanks

Kaya