ZFS and Jail :: nullfs mount :: nothing visible from host

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Dec 9 13:36:10 UTC 2016

SK wrote on 2016/12/09 13:21:

> I will try enforce_statfs=2, maybe that will give me what I need. But
> still, not sure what is happening with jailed=on

>>> Now this is an interesting bit. I tried this, and as soon as I ran the
>>> command, the dataset vanished :P

>> Interesting. All documentation says jailed=on must be set.
>>
> Yes, I know. I checked everywhere and that seems to be the norm. But the
> moment I do it, my jail no longer functions :P

My last idea - put zfs_enable="YES" in jails /etc/rc.conf.

Maybe the dataset is not mounted if has property jailed=on (I don't know
I didn't test it yet)

> Still, my desire for keeping it simple and raw is preventing me from
> taking any of these routes. I would very much like NOT to run any
> additional package on the host/base itself. I already have screen, mc
> and wget -- that is an overkill in my own personal opinion.

I understand it. I am running jails on many machines for years without
any 3rd party tools :) But you can try iocage, cbsd or ezjail just to
test if it is possible to do what you want. Then you can check sysctls
in host, in jail, check jail's properties (`jls -s`), `zfs get all` and
then you can try it reproduce without 3rd party tools.

Ping me next week, I hope I will have more spare time to test it.

Miroslav Lachman