ZFS and Jail :: nullfs mount :: nothing visible from host

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Dec 9 11:11:58 UTC 2016

SK wrote on 2016/12/09 11:12:

>> zfs list is good start. I never used zfs from within jail so I cannot
>> comment on permission denied. I don't know what more must be done.
>>
> I'm not sure which list you are referring to. I could not find any zfs
> list in FreeBSD mailing list lists

I mean your command "zfs list", because normally "zfs list" inside jail
print: "no datasets available" :)

> But, what I would really like to have
>
> a) ONLY the relevant datasets for a jail are visible and can be
> manipulated from within the jail. I do not mind if they are visible from
> host (in fact, I might prefer that -- not manipulate, just see and maybe
> take snapshot of what is there -- helps in centralizing backups). But
> the Jails /must not/ see each others' datasets

zfs create gT/JailS/testJail
zfs set jailed=on gT/JailS/testJail   << Did you set this property?

# (populate & start jail)

zfs jail testJail gT/JailS/testJail

> b) if that is not achievable, maybe not allow the jails to see the
> complete dataset hierarchy -- just make them feel that they are where
> they are in a root, but still be able to create datasets that would
> magically show up in the respective jails. This way, the total control
> is from the host itself, where no one has access to, but the datasets
> are restricted to different jails.

What is visible is controlled by enforce_statfs values. If you create
/tank/jail/alpha and set this path to you first jail no other jail will
know about it.

> Now, for the sysctl values, here they come

sysctls seem OK, I am out of ideas now. maybe I will have time next week
to try this on my test setup.

Miroslav Lachman