preferred jail management tool

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 27 05:02:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-26 22:46, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:23:48 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> [Sean Chittenden wrote:]
>  > > > For years I've used and endorsed ezjail, but as stated, it is depreciated.
>  >
>  > Hmm, there's no notation at
>  > http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=sysutils&portname=ezjail ,
>  > nor in the Makefile AFAICT.
>  >
>  > > > For a book, excluding ezjail would exclude a huge portion of the user base
>  > > > and seems like it would hurt credibility given its dominance as the
>  > > > preferred tool for jail administration.
>
> I agree with this; given its history and installed base it certainly
> deserves some coverage with at least references to its documentation, as
> a precursor to more recently emerging, likely more comprehensive tools.
>
>  > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:54:50PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>  > > Maybe is something obvious to the more technical crowd but as a user what
>  > > does "depreciated" mean in this context?
>  >
>  > Really the word most people use is "deprecated" rather than "depreciated".
>  >
>  > It can mean any number of things:
>  >
>  >  - it no longer works due to changes in other software
>  >  - it has been replaced by something else
>  >  - the author is no longer interested in maintaining it
>  >
>  > and so forth.
>  >
>  > I don't know the answer in this case.
>
> As Alejandro went on to point out, depreciate means (ref Concise Oxford)
> 'Diminish in value' or 'Lower market price of; reduce purchasing power
> of (money); disparage, belittle' (L. pretiare f. pretium price), while
> deprecate means 'Plead against; express wish against or disapproval of
> (L. precari pray).  Different, with some overlap regarding belittlement.
>
> The former term is prominent in Joe's http://jail-primer.sourceforge.net/
>
> cheers, Ian

Ezjail still works perfectly fine. It is moderately actively maintained,
it works very well with ZFS. The value of having a single basejail,
rather than multiple is slightly diminished by the fact that we all have
more disk space than we used to, and the fact that ZFS could clone a
common dataset to save some space, but, when it comes time to upgrade
the common basejail is useful. The process can be a bit awkward at
times, but it generally works fine.

I still use ezjail a lot, and have no problems with it.

--
Allan Jude