iocage following stable?

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sat Dec 19 19:59:55 UTC 2015

Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2015-12-18 16:18, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> I am running ezjail for some years now, but I intend to migrate to iocage. Not that I am "disappointed" with ezjail, but I do want to give VNET a try.
>>
>> After having read iocage's documentation and some google research, I am left with the following questions:
>>
>> 1) Currently I am using ezjail's functionality to update/upgrade my basejail from svn following STABLE. I am unsure if I can stick to running STABLE in iocage jails, and if so, how? "iocage chroot" and compile in /usr/src?
>
> I don't know on this part

Well, I did try that approach in the meantime, and yes, one might fake iocage in this regard.

>> 2) Is there an equivalent for "ezjail-admin console -e 'pkg upgrade -y -f' jailname", namely running commands inside a jail without entering it?
>
> The generic jail command 'jexec' can work for this.
>
> jexec <jailname or number> pkg upgrade -y -f
>
> Also, pkg itself has native support for jails.
>
> pkg upgrade -j <jailname> -y -f

Thanks I didn't see the obvious :-( Thanks.

After testing iocage today I do come to the conclusion that it does what it is made for: perfect wrapper script for jail functionality. I did get sam test jails running vnet, quite easily.

But, I will not use iocage as a substitute for ezjail, not due to lacking functionality, no en contre, rather due to "inflexibility" from *my* point of view. Those UUIDs irritate me, and they make "zfs list" rather "odd looking". And, I do miss "flexibility" regarding where to nail "iocage" into my zpool filesystem. I am using beadm boot environments, and I am used to stick ezjail's basejail to those. If upgrading a basejail went wrong I will have a fallback basejail at hand.

Anyway, I am currently testing jail management "the hard way" aka own scripts ;-)

Regards,
Michael