vnet jail with ipfw having logging problem

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu May 2 14:59:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2 May 2013 09:29:58 -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
 > On Thu, 02 May 2013 08:49:43 -0500, Joe <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > I tested doing a kldload ipfw and fall into the default deny problem.
 > > Is there a sysctl to flip the default deny to default accept?
 > >

 > options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT when you build the kernel is the only
 > way AFAIK

% man ipfw
/FINE POINTS
[..]
     o   If you are logged in over a network, loading the kld(4) version of
         ipfw is probably not as straightforward as you would think.  The fol-
         lowing command line is recommended:

               kldload ipfw && \
               ipfw add 32000 allow ip from any to any

         Along the same lines, doing an

               ipfw flush

         in similar surroundings is also a bad idea.

I expect running jexec(8) qualifies as 'logged in over a network' here?

cheers, Ian