rc.d/jail and jail.conf

Jamie Gritton jamie at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 31 18:31:21 UTC 2013

On 03/31/13 11:09, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Jamie Gritton wrote:
>> On 03/31/13 09:12, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
 >>
>>> Is there a way to disable jail defined in jail.conf? (to avoid
>>> jail2_list in rc.conf)
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're asking. You want a jail in jail.conf that's not
>> started up?
>
> Yes, I am asking if there can be some variable or parametr in jail.conf
> for jail which we don't want to start by jail command, but leave its
> configuration in jail.conf.
> I am not saying I need it right now, but I can imagine a scenario where
> it can be useful.
>
> In the old style with rc.conf, we can have defined for example 5 jails
> (jailA to jailE) and then enabled only some of them to start at boot
> time by defining jail_list="jailA jailB jailC".
>
> With syntax of new jail.conf one must delete or comment out the whole
> jailD and jailE definitions to stop loading them at boot time.
> Am I right?

There is a way, though not in the jail.conf file itself. When you run
"jail -c" it will start all of the jails in the file. But if you list
one or more jails on the command line, e.g. "jail -c jailA jailB", then
it will only start those jails.

> So is it possible to add some keyword to jail.conf jails definition?
> Something like "disabled" or "noautostart" or anything else...
>
> foo {
> disabled;
> host.hostname = "foo.com";
> ip4.addr = 10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.2, 10.1.1.3;
> }
>
> Then one can easily disable jail "foo" without a need to remove its
> configuration.

That seems reasonable, but using a jail list in rc.conf may suffice.

- Jamie