rc.d/jail and jail.conf

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sat Mar 30 23:06:51 UTC 2013

Dirk Engling wrote:
> On 30.03.13 21:38, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>> There is a way, you should use flags. I discussed this topic with bz@
>> few years ago and this is the official recommendation how newly added
>> features should be used without changes in rc.d/jail
>>
>> jail_myjail_flags="-l -U root -n myjail"
>
> Thanks, I need a switch, since -n only was introduced in 9.1, is it
> there to stay?

jail -n <jailname> is there for a long time. I have it on an old 7.3
machine too.

On 9.1 I read this in man page:

  -n jailname
        Set the jail's name.  This is deprecated and is equivalent to the
        name parameter.

So in 9.1 (and 8.x) you can use `jail name=myjail`

And as 7.x is EOL, there is only 8.3 and 9.1 as supported releases (9.0
EOL date is 2013-03-31), you can go with name=myjail syntax.

> Out of curiosity, why doesn't the jailname default to the hostname, if
> none is given?

Jail's hostname doesn't need to be unique. And AFAIK jail name on
FreeBSD 7.x doesn't need to be unique too. But for 8.3 and 9.x it is
used as unique identifier.
If name is not set, it is assumed to be the same as JID.

Miroslav Lachman