New jail(8) committed

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Sat Apr 28 16:53:11 UTC 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Jamie Gritton wrote:

> The main reason I didn't consider a jail.d approach is just that I
> haven't - such things are a little off the radar for me. It seemed very
> natural to use a configuration file format that other programs already
> use (e.g. named, apmd, devd). I suppose it's true that the "foo.d"
> approach is also in use by other programs, though I mostly seem to see
> those on Linux. And if I did opt for a directory approach, the files
> within the directory would still need a format - you can't get away from
> the fact that a config file needs a format.
>
> It would be nice to have a general parser for C-style config files, and
> I looked for such a library when I started on this. But such a library
> doesn't seem to exist.Perhaps it's time to make one.

The config file format that you've chosen is remarkably identical to config files for which I've already written parsers.

So, I guess I'm saying that I'm willing to help out in this area.

My parser is written in C, it's very small and light-weight, and it's called figpar (con[fig par]ser).

I can dust if off, slap a BSD license on it, wrap a utility around it and we could have something like sysrc (which operates on the collection of rc.conf(5) files).

Alternatively, I could rewrite it in something like sh(1) if C is not desired.
--
Devin