Jail hot migration

Andrew Hotlab andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 22:28:10 UTC 2010

> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:45:20 +0000
> From: k at 7he.at
> To: freebsd-jail at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Jail hot migration
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 04:28:15PM +1200, Peter Toth wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I was lately thinking around jail hot-migration feature where one jail
> > could be moved from one host to another without
> > shutting it down, something like vmotion in VMware world.
> >

> I implemented a working prototype of a container-style virtualization
> for FreeBSD, capable of live/hot migration. It has nothing to do with
> jail, but it makes use of vimage/vnet.
>
> I am going to do a presentation at the EuroBSDCon in October,
> but a paper and a demo video (no sources yet, sorry) are already
> online at:
>
> http://www.7he.at/freebsd/vps/

I was really impressed by the live migration demo video and I wish to ask you a few questions about your solution...
At this time VPS technology lacks resource limiting capability, do you think it could be compatible with the resource container project sponsored by the FreeBSD Foundation?
Multiple virtual instances of FreeBSD running as VPS are required to share the same kernel, as in the Jail paradigm, or they may run different kernels, as in NetBSD (http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/rump/)?
How many resources do you estimate in order to complete your project?
It seems that it will be far more difficult to implement the live migration feature on the Jail framework than in VPS, but how about offline migration and resource control? Some work has been done to achieve that with the current Jail paradigm, do you think that VPS will be able to do a better job in these areas too?
Sorry if any question sounds stupid: I do not know much on the internals of the technologies I mentioned.
Thank you very much for your work.
Andrew
P.S. I'm sorry for the format of the e-mail, I'm using this awful Hotmail web interface. :(