getpwnam: root: No such file or directory

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Jul 20 07:37:46 UTC 2008

Mikhail Goriachev wrote:
> Евгений Шаповал wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I try:
>> # /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -d /usr/local/jails/test/etc -p
>> /usr/local/jails/test/etc/master.passwd
>>
>> and I have:
>>
>> # pwd_mkdb: /usr/local/jails/test/etc/master.passwd: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> then I make empty file:
>>
>> # touch /usr/local/jails/test/etc/master.passwd
>>
>> all good! no errors, no messages...
>>
>> I try start jail again, and I have: =\
>>
>> =============================
>> /etc/rc.conf: //: Permission denied
>> Configuring jails:.
>> Starting jails: cannot start jail "test":
>> jail: root: no such user

Did you run "make distribution DESTDIR=/path/to/jail/dir" or something
similar? I don't think so and your jail environment seems uncomplete!
Read the man page example section:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jail&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE
and Handbook to build jail properly
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-build.html