The best way to upgrade my FreeBSD and its jails

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Fri Aug 1 23:14:09 UTC 2008

Redd Vinylene wrote:
> My dedicated server is mother, its two jails are camel and box. Is
> this the best way to upgrade all of them?

We probably should keep this to freebsd-jail@ only.

Had a look at http://pastie.org/245821 and have a few notes for you:

1.- As Miroslav already mentioned - it is not a good idea to daisy chain
everything. You should break the procedure into two steps. Firstly
upgrade the host and make sure the upgrade went well. Once you're
certain that everything is ok, then proceed upgrading jails.

I personally disable jails (jail_enable="NO"), then reboot (to avoid any
zombie jails), perform upgrade on all jails and then enable them back on.

2.- Your upgrading sequence is a bit off. Have a look at
/usr/src/Makefile for further details and correct sequence:

# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# make delete-old
# mergemaster
# reboot
# make delete-old-libs

3.- You don't need kernels inside your jails. Having them won't hurt
you, but they consume space. In other words, you shouldn't execute the
following (or similar):

# make DESTDIR=$D installkernel

4.- The "make distribution DESTDIR=$D" should be executed only once -
when a jail is created. Otherwise you're nuking your configurations in
jail's /etc and probably somewhere else.

Have a go at this, you might find some use for it:

-----------------------
JAILSDIR=/usr/local/jails

cd /usr/src

for jail in `ls ${JAILSDIR}`; do
         mergemaster -pD ${JAILSDIR}/${jail}
         make installworld DESTDIR=${JAILSDIR}/${jail}
         mergemaster -iD ${JAILSDIR}/${jail}
done

Regards,
Mikhail.