PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

Michelle Konzack bsd4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Thu Aug 20 14:42:09 UTC 2009

Am 2009-08-20 15:25:50, schrieb Дмитрий Замураев:
> Hello, Michelle
>
>> The main problem with the bandwidth is, that even the VOD/IPTV and  VoIP
>> traffic goes throug the PPPoE server which is very bad.
> I don't think so, yes it is bad and not very bad. It depends on BRAS
> hardware.

Hmmm...

>> I do not want to count the traffic to a  specific  /25  which  hold  the
>> storage servers,If you want this, you may use the MPD-specific RADIUS
> attributes described in:
> http://mpd.sourceforge.net/doc5/mpd30.html#30
> see last paragraph.

I have tried this but it does not work.

>> mean, the VOD/IPTV and VoIP  traffic  must  bypass  the
>> PPPoE server.
> If VOD/IPTV is uses multicast - yes else you must set the pipe for this
> kind of traffic

Ehm, noy, VOD is unicast, because the  user  can  view  videos  whenever
she/he want.  Currently we do not know whether we  support  TV  channels
over IPTV.

>> My idea is/was, to put the PPPoE server diretly byside the FTTH DSLAM's,
>> which mean, each 96port DSLAM has an upstrem of 1 GE and even if  I  put
>> 10 of them in a 42RU, it would normaly not fill the  10 GE  ports  of  a
>> professionel Server.  And of corse,  I  can  put  always  two  or  three
>> together parallel.
> Yes, it is good idea.

I will see...  It seems, that even 96 FTTH ports with 100 MBit  each  do
not hit the limit of a 1GE  upstream,  so  the  now  I  could  test  the
"Sun Fire X4100M2" becaus it has four 1GE ports, which mean, I  can  use
one as upstream and then connect the three others to up  to  three  FTTH
DSLAMS...

Transforming a 1400 US$ Server into a pppoe server/router which has  not
more then 2 GByte of memory and the smallest CPU available.

This could work.

>> The problem is only, that I can not install 10 (or 20 redunant) 1U Sun
>> Fire X4100M2, even if I can get up to 60% rebat of the listprice.
>> I have not the place to put 20 additiona servers into, nor  I  like  the
>> power consumation ~70 Watt with the smalles CPU and only 4 GByte of RAM.
> I have't Sun servers and i can't compare Sun with i386 usage with this task
> I use i386 servers. See below.

The X4100M2 is a Opteron

> the SMP with many NIC helps, and so much

I know, the smallest Quad-Core CPU with 4 threads/core could be enough

> I use usb flash drive in read-write mode as full replace of hard drive

I do not know whether the X4100 can boot from USB-Flash, but  it  seems,
a SATA/CF adaptor is working or even a very cheap SATA  HDD.  The  X4100
is not bound to SAS drives.

> for the driver see: people. yandex . ru/~wawa

OK

> 2. FreeBSD 7.2, mpd5.3 + ng_car + ng_bpf (rate-limiting
>    on this machine - the perfomance of traffic processing is very good,
>    because ng_car & ng_bpf is in kernel space, but have trouble
>    described in PR kern/137881, i think on FBSD 7.0 it may be works fine,
>    but no test are made, i'm busy)
> I think the best choise today is #2

I will give it a try

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193