Backups Hardwares for FreeBSD

Robert Blacquiere freebsd-isp at blacquiere.nl
Tue Oct 23 14:22:14 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:03:37PM -0800, Mike Tibor wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >We have a FreeBSD mail server with 1TB RAID 6 using Areca ARC-1220
> >controler, all works fine.
> >
> >Today our backups are made on DDS-4 tapes, they are very slow and too
> >small, this is our problem. What is a good (modern) alternative to DDS-4
> >working on FreeBSD?
>
> At another job I used a Sony AIT-2 drive to back up a number of BSD/OS and
> FreeBSD boxes, and it was fine.  At the job I'm in now I get to play with
> an ADIC Scalar I2000 tape library with LTO2 drives.  LTO2 is pretty nice,
> but it's starting to get a little expensive.  LTO3 or 4 would be great if
> you can afford it.  I suppose it depends greatly on the budget you have
> available.
>
> If you want to get away from tape, you could build up a disk-based backup
> server with a number of large SATA drives and script something using
> rsync.

Hooking on the disk based solution. With bacula and amanda you can use
disc based backups and use tape backup. Data can be streamed from the
disc based holding disc to the "slow" tape. But this may need tapes with
the apporiate size.

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!