Choosing traffic shaping discipline for a small ISP

Ovi ovi at unixservers.us
Mon Oct 15 08:30:32 PDT 2007

Hello

What is the best choice for traffic shaping when you have like 2500
users, on a single router with 50 Mbits/s internet fiber connection?
I've tried IPFW+dummynet, but browsing and download is not stable
(variations are high), and second problem, with 98% cpu idle (Xeon CPU)
with firewall activated, not all bandwidth is used, even on the evening
when most of users are online.

I've tried pf + altq HFSC which works well for up to 500 users, for more
users CPU is high, and browsing is very slow.
It is possible with CBQ to share internet for like 2500 users and limit
their bandwidth? Both IPFW and PF when altq discipline needs sum of
bandwidth for all users not to exceed total bandwidth (50 Mbps in my
case) or well 100%, but having like 2500 and not 100 users, I cannot use
values like 0.2%.

I did not posed rules, I've used standard shaping rules that can be
found in any howto/man page, my question is only, how discipline should
I use to get similar performances to HTB (or TC ) on Linux, for like
2000-2500 users.

Best Regards,
ovi