Some questions about PPTP and shaping

Dennis Yusupoff dyr at homelink.ru
Fri Oct 5 14:55:20 PDT 2007

Hello, FREEBSD-ISP.

We are using Poptop as PPTP and PPPoE server to Internet for our clients. Currently,
there are about 3000 tunnels in sum at the moment.
Seven server under FreeBSD (from 6.1-PRERELEASE to 7.0-CURRENT, i386
and amd64) used
for poptop, ng_netflow for traffic accounting, dummynet for shaping
and ipfw, of cause, for firewalling. Hardware are simple enough -
Intel P4 3,0-3,2GHz; 2Gb RAM; Intel Gbit NIC on-board.

So, some questions now:
1. How do correctly shape traffic - dummynet emulate propagation, not
only rate-limit or, like Cisco, "clear" traffic shape.
2. Does anybody use mpd for hardly-loaded servers? 7.0-CURRENT, for
example, died in kernel trap after creating node "ng1970".
Poptop also, sometimes, invoke system kernel trap, especially with PPPoE
configuration, but more often system deafly freeze until reset. =(

I hope, it's not a just-another-silly-questions-about-RTFM ;-)

--
С уважением,
Юсупов Денис,
системный администратор Ozerki.Net             mailto:dyr at homelink.ru