ipfw + dummynet performance

bsdlist at mail.bg bsdlist at mail.bg
Wed Nov 7 07:22:38 PST 2007

Hi , I have P4 3Ghz, 1G ram ,Intel 1000/pro 2 nics , FreeBSD
6.2 compile with :
 options IPFIREWALL
 options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
 options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=5
 options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
 options IPDIVERT
 options DUMMYNET
 options HZ=1000
 options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

 device pf
 device pflog
 device pfsync
 options ALTQ
 options ALTQ_CBQ
 options ALTQ_RED
 options ALTQ_RIO
 options ALTQ_HFSC
 options ALTQ_CDNR
 options ALTQ_PRIQ

 My question is obout performance of ipfw and dummynet with
this rules

 pipe 101 ip from table(1) to any via em1
 pipe 100 ip from any to table(1) xmit em1
 pipe 200 ip from table(2) to any via em1
 pipe 202 ip from any to table(2) xmit em1
 pipe 301 ip from table(3) to any via em1
 pipe 300 ip from any to table(3) xmit em1
 pipe 401 ip from table(4) to any via em1
 pipe 400 ip from any to table(4) xmit em1

 ..
 pipe 202 config bw 512K mask dst-ip 0xffffffff
 pipe 200 config bw 256K mask src-ip 0xffffffff
 this rules are the same for the 4 table but with diffrent
speed :

 table 1-> 522 IP address , speed of pipe 1M download ,
512Kbit upload
 table 2 -> 752 IP address 512Kbit/s download , 256 kbit
upload
 table 3 -> 144 IP address 4M download , 2M upload
 table 4 -> 48 IP address 1M download , 512 upload

 altq on em1 cbq bandwidth 310Mb queue { hh, downn }
 queue hh bandwidth 200Mb priority 7 cbq(default)
 queue downn bandwidth 60Mb priority 1 cbq
 altq on em0 cbq bandwidth 310Mb queue { do, aa }
 queue do bandwidth 200Mb priority 7 cbq(default)
 queue aa bandwidth 15Mb priority 1 cbq

 I have no error messages about dynamic pipes , the router
is idle 30% at the time when most of the peeple using
internet
 The problem is that users doesn't have their speed for
examle : the user must have 1Mb , but hi has obout 768 kbits
.. and this is
 for all tables , they have 80 - 90 % of their speed when
the total bandwidth of 50M is 30M load.

 Is there any mistakes in my config, or the server must be
changed with much more effective - Core2 etc ..