Recommended IMAP server?

Tom Yerex tom.yerex at science.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 27 19:50:14 UTC 2007

I found the end-user features were more significant than the particular
implementation. (Keep in mind that I have not used any of these products
recently, my last contact was early last year...)

For example, Cyrus configured with Berkeley DB as the backend seemed to
provide faster search results than Courier, which for end-users that
relied on their mail to store documents made a big difference for us.
Courier with maildir provided easier backup than Cyrus. Cyrus seems to
provide the ability to replicate and distribute loads much easier than
Courier. Cyrus with db backend required periodic checks for database
corruption..etc...

>From what I am told, Dovecot is a "cleaner" implementation and shows
promise, but is not as mature and suffers under high loads.

Hope this helps some,

Tom.

"Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-isp at freebsd.org
06/26/2007 07:49 PM

isp at freebsd.org
cc

Subject
Recommended IMAP server?

Hi,

I find myself needing to implement IMAP on FreeBSD.  Any suggestions
on the "preferred" IMAP server?

It appears that we have three "main" IMAP daemons in ports: imap-wu,
cyrus-imapd, and courier-imap.  I need to pick one.  My mail system
uses Sendmail+sasl2 and milter-greylist.  I want to stick as close to
a "stock" FreeBSD as possible, so I'm not into reading users from LDAP
or anything like that.

It seems that imap-wu lets you synch up to /var/mail/username, but
only that.

Courier uses maildir, which means installing procmail and having a
.procmailrc for every account.

It appears that cyrus-imap23 uses its own delivery agent to build a
maildir-like structure.

Does this pretty much summarize my choices, or are there other things
I should be aware of before implementing any of these on FreeBSD?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas                 mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org,
mwlucas at FreeBSD.org