Recommended IMAP server?

Gary D. Margiotta gary at tbe.net
Wed Jun 27 04:22:48 UTC 2007

> I find myself needing to implement IMAP on FreeBSD.  Any suggestions
> on the "preferred" IMAP server?

I've begun migrating all my machines from pretty much vanilla UW-IMAP
(with the built in pop3d) over to Dovecot with Maildir delivery.

I've used UW for over 10 years on my mail servers, but I'm starting to get
away from standard mbox format.  I like the benefits of Maildir for my
specific needs, and it's much safer over NFS, which is what I'm also
starting to use for some servers.

Dovecot was a very simple install from source, and I had it up and running
with Maildir support, SASL smtp auth, and both pop3 and imap in about 10
minutes after compiation.

I use Postfix for my MTA, but it should work with Sendmail or whatever.

I played with Courier a little bit, didn't really like it, and Cyrus was
way too much for my needs at the time, and I'm not really looking to try
it again.

Good luck.