*****SPAM***** Re: Clamav replacement for FreeBSD+postfix?

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Feb 19 21:45:57 UTC 2007

Mike Tancsa writes:

> Why do you need so much per server to do spam/virus scanning ?

At several point in times (ie different clamav versions) clamav was using
more than 512MB and causing all kinds of problems because of FreeBSD's
default 512MB limit. We bumped the per program limit to 1.5MB and so far
clamav has not exceeded that.

>    Cores per package: 2
> real memory  = 3756916736 (3582 MB)
> avail memory = 3677523968 (3507 MB)
> ACPI APIC Table: <Nvidia AWRDACPI>
>

>>We get our machines installed with FreeBSD and the vendor has been
>>putting PAE on machines with 4GB, but I am wondering if it is even needed.
>
> I have never used (nor trusted) PAE.

May try that for the next machine.
I don't think I have ever seen a good comment on PAE, although haven't tried
too hard either.

If clamav had not crashed so often until we increased the max ram per
program to 1.5GB, we probably would have gone with 2GB machines.  I don't
think it was that much price difference so rather have the extra and not use
it than to have too little.