problems with KAV for FreeBSD 6.0

Duane Whitty duane at dwlabs.ca
Thu Feb 15 23:09:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:02:47PM -0500, Roldan Vallejo Olivera wrote:
> hello list:
> I have a FreeBSD 6.0 running in an HP Proliant GL 370, Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz,
> 1GB RAM, and RAID-5 75 GB, in this system we have a BIND DNS service and a
> Sendmail as a mail relay-only server, processing an average of 3GB messages
> daily, we have purchased a KAV license for 4 GB traffic daily, but we are
> having problems: sometimes our server runs out of resources and issues the
> following message error:
> "maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5)
> ns1 sendmail[545] syserr (root): <mailbox at mydomain.com>   openmailer
> (smtpscanner): cannot fork: resource temporarily unavailable no queue:
> syserr(root): daemon: cannot fork"
>
> at this moment when I try to login at the server i receive this error:
> "login: login: fork: resource temporarily unavailable"
>
> the server replies at ping command, but doesn't allow telnet neither ssh,
> and stops processing messages. we have noticed  this scenario runs out of
> free memory as we read the output of top command:
>
> "last pid: 26888;  load averages:  1.02,  0.91,  0.54  up 3+19:06:18
> 03:10:00
> 615 processes: 4 starting, 2 running, 608 sleeping, 1 lock
>
> Mem: 698M Active, 58M Inact, 188M Wired, 48M Cache, 111M Buf, 3532K Free
> Swap: 4096M Total, 24M Used, 4071M Free"

Free memory seems adequate here.  You have very little swap space used.  FreeBSD
uses the philosophy that free memory is wasted memory.

> As soon as I reboot the system everything works fine for the next 3 or 4
> days... I don't know what's exactly the problem and of course, I have no
> idea of the solution, can anybody help me, please?
> thanks in advance
> roldan

What does sysctl kern.maxusers show?  Depending on what the current value of
this is you may want to increase it.

Below is my current value for kern.maxusers
dwpc@ /etc>sysctl kern.maxusers
kern.maxusers: 250

kern.maxusers sets many kernel parameters and does not
actually specify the number of users which can use the system.

This and other tuning options can be found in tuning(7).

--Duane