Managing multiple DNS Servers

eculp at bafirst.com eculp at bafirst.com
Wed Oct 25 09:36:59 PDT 2006

Quoting Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.com>:

> Hello Gang,
>
> I have spent the last three days looking into "efficient" ways to manage
> multiple DNS server. My preferred ones are Open Source, to begin with!
>
> There is not so much information out there, or maybe my keywords were
> simply fake.
>
> I have three NSes, 1 master and 2 slaves and manually managing them is
> not a good idea - not efficient so far.
>
> I believe this list has all the information (and maybe tools) that I
> need.
>
> Basically, I have looked at a couple DB based solutions and narrowed
> down on Sauron and mysqlBind (http://openisp.net/mysqlBind/).
>
> 1. Sauron doesn't seem quite intuitive when it comes to dealing with
>    "split views" in Bind (although I hear rumors it could work). I am
>    still looking at it.
> 2. mysqlBind (1.94) - I have not managed to compile this on my
>    5.5-STABLE. I'd appreciate help from anyone who has succeeded with
>    compiling...
>
> It's obvious that I am not the only one running more than 1 Name
> Server. There are those of you who run over 5, or even clusters of
> NSes.
>
> Would you please share ideas on methods you have used to manage your
> name servers. So far, whenever I delete a zone on the master, I have to
> go to the slaves and delete the zone. I wish I could avoid such steps.
>
> I know I could make some complicated scripts to do this, but I am sure
> such wheels are already rolling somewhere... no need to reinvent.

Odhiambo,

I´m afraid that I don´t have an answer just more questions.  I´ve been
looking at the same but wanting to use ldap.  There is even an
/usr/ports/net/ldap2dns port .  Ldap would seem to be better suited to
dns than mysql (a lot more reads than writes).  Could someone who is
using ldap2dns add some comments and if you use it with bind or djbdns
in addition to mysql backend options.

It looks like there is an new version with some preformance comments
at  http://projects.alkaloid.net/ and a web admin tool now integrated
in the horde framework. (info from the same page.) that could make it
more attractive.

Thanks,

ed