[OT] Domain Name Registrars

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 22 20:10:47 UTC 2006

Duane Whitty wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Troy Settle wrote:
>>

>>> Here's the thing for name servers (at least as far as I understand
>>> it)...
>>>

>> With all due respect, the problem with postings like this is that it
>> actually slows down the process of people finding out the truth for
>> themselves by perpetuating misinformation. It's far better to either do
>> the research and post accurate information, or avoid posting.
>>

>>> the glue records must exist in the root servers for each registry.
>>>

>> A) The only "root servers" are those that serve the root zone. What
>> you're referring to are Top Level Domain (TLD) name servers.

> To clarify for myself, the root name servers are not authoritative for
> (most of) the TLDs.

All of the roots except for j are authoritative for ARPA. That's a legacy
issue, and the goal is for it to be moved to its own set of servers "some
day." In addition to 6 other servers; a, b, e, g, and h root are all
authoritative for MIL. This zone should be moved off the roots as well, but
who knows when/if that should happen. The root zone servers are not
authoritative for any other zones (other than the root zone itself, of
course.) This isn't particularly interesting for 99.9999% of the Internet
though, since Joe average Internet user is not going to be able to add a
domain to those zones.

> The authoritative name servers for zones represented
> by the TLDs are the ones to which the root name servers have delegated
> authority to for those zones.  So there are authoritative name servers
> for the zones such as .ca, .gc.ca, .com etc.

Yes, basically.

>> B) Policies on whether name server IP records are necessary for domain
>> registration vary by registry. There is no hard and fast rule. C)
>> "Glue" is a DNS term of art that refers specifically to IP addresses
>> for servers whose hostnames are IN the zone they serve. For example, if
>> you have the following NS records:
>>
>> example.org.    NS    ns1.example.org. example.org.    NS
>> ns2.example.org.
>>
>> Then glue records are _required_ in the ORG TLD name servers. Otherwise
>>  there is no way for anyone to reach your servers.
>>
> So then what the registrars are doing (or supposed to be doing) is
> providing A and NS records for the name servers in my parent zone which
> point to my primary name servers and secondary name servers?

NS records yes, in all cases. The policies for A records vary from TLD
registry to TLD registry, and from registrar to registrar.

> This then is the "glue" which makes recursive queries possible.

Not entirely accurate. As I said in a previous message, "glue" is a DNS term
of art that means precisely an A (or AAAA) record for a name server hostname
that is in the same zone (or a descendant of the same zone) that is being
delegated. So, in the following example:

example.org.	NS	ns1.example.org.

A glue record would be required.

> So, and pardon my verbosity, when a resolver needs to resolve dwlabs.ca,
> assuming it doesn't have the data cached, it queries one of
> ca0[1,2,4,5,6].cira.ca or ns-ext.isc.org,

Good so far, as those are the name servers which are authoritative for the
CA zone.

> which then responds with the
> names and ip addresses of the authoritative name servers for dwlabs.ca.
> Am I correct?

Well, let's see:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @ca01.cira.ca dwlabs.ca A
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dwlabs.ca.                     IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
dwlabs.ca.              86400   IN      NS      helsinki.cgc.gc.ca.
dwlabs.ca.              86400   IN      NS      dwpc.dwlabs.ca.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dwpc.dwlabs.ca.         86400   IN      A       24.224.199.230

;; Query time: 116 msec
;; SERVER: 192.228.27.11#53(192.228.27.11)
;; WHEN: Mon May 22 13:05:26 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 92

A couple of things to notice here. First, I did a query for an A record,
since that is what most resolvers would do. The CA name server responded
with a delegation record for dwlabs.ca, and a glue record for dwpc.dwlabs.ca
since that hostname is in the zone that is being delegated.

> So no glue, but an NS record as in example.com.  IN NS   ns1.dwlabs.ca.
> ?

Voila!

> In this case the response to the resolver query from the .com
> authoritative name server will be that the unauthoritative answer is
> ns1.dwlabs.ca. Authoritative answers can be found at
> ca0[1,2,4,5,6].cira.ca or ns-ext.isc.org.  ?  Because of this they don't
> need A records for my domain, if I am correct.

Well, kind of. You can easily get confused here because "authority" is one
of those terms of art that actually can mean different things depending on
where and how it's applied. Better to refer to what comes from the parent as
a delegation record, and avoid issues of authority in this situation.

hope this helps,

Doug