PPPoE Setup - problem sending out traffic

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sun Mar 19 09:47:49 UTC 2006

Hello techies,

I need a bit of hand-holding here .....

I am enquiring to know if anyone has setup a PPPoE service
successfully, using the WARTA method, which I have read 4x, together
with other howtos (handbook, etc) and now trying to adopt.

I am starting out using just what it has and only changing the small
bits that are specific to my case in an attempt at proof of concept.

1. Using ppp.secret, I am able to connect, but I cannot transfer any
   traffic. I cannot reach the outside world.
   I am assigning public IPs to the pppoe clients. I believe this is
   no sin.

2. With RADIUS enabled, I get the following in my ppp.log:

Reply-Message "Check item failed."

And thus authentication fails for my tests, but perhaps that is a
RADIUS-centric problem so I will leave it pending for now.

Let me concentrate on public IPs and the ability to allow the pppoe
client access to the internet.

My PPPoE concentrator (server) is a FreeBSD 5.5-PRERELEASE box.
It has two interfaces. fxp0 has a public IP, a.b.64.58. xl0, the
interface facing the pppoe clients also has a public IP, which is
a.b.73.98

In my rc.conf,  defaultrouter is a.b.73.97

My ppp.conf is like this:

default:
 set log Chat Command Phase     #turn on some logging. See man ppp.conf for info
 enable pap                     #turn on chap and pap accounting
 allow mode direct              #turn on ppp bridging
 disable ipv6cp                 #we don't use ipv6, don't want the errors
 set mru 1472                   #set mru below 1500 (PPPoE MTU issue)
 set mtu 1472                   #set mtu below 1500 (PPPoE MTU issue)
 set ifaddr a.b.73.97 a.b.73.99-a.b.73.102 255.255.255.248
                                #Specify my wifi gateway IP as well as
                                #DHCP pool range
 #set radius /etc/radius.conf   #turn on radius auth and use this file
 set dns a.b.c.4 a.b.c.2        #our dns servers
 accept dns                     #turn on dns cacheing/forwarding

My rc.conf has these:

 defaultrouter is a.b.73.97

Testing using ping -S a.b.73.98 to a.b.73.97 (which is a cisco router)
works fine.
A test using ping or traceroute from a pppoe client (Windows XP) does
not work, and the client cannot access any IP services.

ipfw is derived from the one in the WARTA document without changes.
Should I suspect the ipfw, or should I suspect the configuration in
my PPPoE server?

My question is this: Should the ip addresses being assigned above be
able to work? They are public IPs. If yes, then what could I be missing.

-Wash

DISCLAIMER: See http://www.wananchi.com/bms/terms.php

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121