Recovery from disk+fs crash

Robin Elfrink elfrink at introweb.nl
Tue Jun 6 07:50:55 PDT 2006

Eric Anderson wrote:

> You could go in with fsdb and fix the parts manually, but it wouldn't be
> simple.  You might also try a 'preen' first - not sure if that will do
> anything different.  Also - this fs is not currently mounted at all,
> right?

I have no experience with fsdb, so that will take some time for me to
read the manuals.

The filesystem was mounted read-only just then, but fsck_uff -b 160
/dev/da0s1f only says it copies the block, and leaves the filesystem dirty.

root@:~# fsck_ffs -b 160 /dev/da0s1f
Alternate super block location: 160
** /dev/da0s1f
cannot alloc 188446744067446403432 bytes for inphead

UPDATE STANDART SUPERBLOCK? [yn] y

***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****

I tried with several backup copies (as newfs -N said it would make; this
is a standard install with no fs optimizations). All with the same result.

Robin