Fix dates via IMAP on messages

Sean Winn sean at gothic.net.au
Wed Jul 19 06:25:13 UTC 2006

It is far from trivial; there's a huge variety of just completely
weird/ambiguous date formats placed in Date:, usually by spamware
(time zone non-existent or invalid? times that don't even exist due
to DST? 01/02/2005 - is that Feb 1 or Jan 2? Guess by time zone ...
or is 'EST' US or AU EST?). It'd be great if they were the only
source - tag them at epoch, and they all get sorted out of the way.
Unfortunately, there's a bunch of broken mail servers/clients out
there just as bad, from people who've never read the RFCs. Trusting
the Received header placed by your own mail server is usually a
better idea - it's at least consistent, and matches what should be
the time stamp on the maildir files rather than some clients idea of
time. I wish I'd thought of it during migration to courier I had to do.