Server Hardware Recommendations

Gary D. Margiotta gary at tbe.net
Tue Jul 18 16:58:32 UTC 2006

>> I've yet to have a good experience with SATA and FreeBSD......
>>
>> ..david
>
> We only got 1 server with a SATA drive, a DL145. It is our sniffer
> box (runs FreeBSD), but the disk isn't used much in it.
>
> All the others have SCSI (U320 or SAS).

I run a lot of supermicro and tyan based servers, with the older ones
being PATA, the new being SATA, and I've had not a single problem with
SATA under FreeBSD.

I am running 4-STABLE on the pata boxes, and the new SATA boxes I've been
bringing up have been 6-STABLE boxes.  FreeBSD has no problems with
detecting the drives, or the RAID controllers (hardware and software based
Promise, Highpoint and 3Ware), and I'm extremely pleased with the
performance of these boxes.

I avoid any SII-based controllers like the plague, and have sparingly used
onboard ICH chipsets (although a new batch of servers I'm looking at have
those onboard, so I'll have more info then I guess).

I'm running some older Compaq DL360-G1 1U boxes with onboard SCSI Smart
Array controllers, with 18 and 36GB drives in RAID-1 configs as well, and
they are rock solid.  They are our main MX machines, passing upwards of
30-40k e-mails per day, and have not had a single problem with them (aside
from a hard drive dying, and it was a simple pull and plug hot-swap, it
auto-rebuilt on the fly, no downtime).

I've used some Dells in the past as well, always rock solid, almost zero
problems, although I haven't used any of their newer line 1-2U servers,
mine were older 1200, 2300, 2450's.