compromised machines and entire network health

Arie Kachler akachler at telcom.net
Thu Jul 13 15:57:04 UTC 2006

Hello,

In the past several years, we have had a few incidents of servers of
customers that are compromised and then flood our entire network and
bring down almost everything. The sql slammer worm for example.

Is there a solution to this? I know all computers should be kept up to
date so this does not happen, but most times customers are not as
attentive to patches as we sysadmins are.
Assuming that there will always be machines with security issues, is
there a way to prevent a compromised computer to bring down an entire
network?

Arie Kachler