IAMP servers in FreeBSD for ISP

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Jul 7 15:08:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:03:42AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >Remember that Courier has a proxy front-end built in, so you can use a
> >proxy
> >cluster instead of an NFS cluster (or even have some accounts on Courier
> >and
> >proxy others to Cyrus; a very nice migration tool)
>
> We tried the proxy once.. but the proxy machine was keeping an instance
> running during the connection. Basically we saw a connection on the proxy
> machine and another in the destination machine. Not sure if this is how it
> is supposed to work or if we missconfigured.

You will see a process running on the proxy machine for the duration of the
connection; all it is doing is copying messages back and forth. There will
be one process per connection, and this is how it's supposed to work.

A process in the process table is not particularly expensive, and its RAM
usage should be very low; however I'd agree that a single-process threaded
proxy would be cheaper.

> >although Courier's sqwebmail has a not particularly pretty interface, it
> >*does* perform very well under heavy usage
>
> Even with Inbox with large number of files?
> Say 5,000+

Most users had a 10MB quota :-) We also bounced incoming mail for mailboxes
which had not been logged into for 6 weeks.

Regards,

Brian.