IAMP servers in FreeBSD for ISP

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Fri Jul 7 14:56:24 UTC 2006

Darren Pilgrim writes:

> FWIW, Courier-IMAP 4 has a proxy feature wherein a single front-end IMAP
> server hands does the inital authentication, then determines the server
> handling the account and invisibly hands off the connection.

We tried that. The proxy did not seem to "hand off" the connection.
Instead for each connection there was one process running in the proxy and
another on the actual machine doing the actual serving.

So if we had
Machine A as proxy.

Machine B doing work

Machine C doing work.

We saw that if 500 connections came to B and 500 to C... there would be 1000
connections on A.

Is that how it's supposed to work or perhaps we didn't configure it
properly?