IAMP servers in FreeBSD for ISP

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Fri Jul 7 03:24:57 UTC 2006

User Freebsd writes:

> If I recall your environment at all, one nice feature of it is that it
> supports something called MURDER, which, effectively, is a way of having
> your mailboxes literally spread out over multiple backend servers ...
> all the mail comes in through ServerA, but, as an example, mailboxes a-m
> get stored on ServerB, and n-z go to ServerC ...

What happens if Server A dies?

> They've also just recently added a replication ability, so that you can
> have backup servers ... ServerD is a backup of ServerB, ServerE is a
> backup of ServerC ...

These backup servers are they for what you call A above or the storage
machines?

> The thing is, it would most likely eliminate, or greatly reduce, your NFS
> requirements ...

Now that you mention they have replication, it definitely is worth
re-looking at it.

I inheritted courier and at the time we were not growing as fast as we are
now.. We used to get smaller accounts so the increase in load was always
fairly small and we could extremely easily plan adding more capacity. Now
that we have larger orders coming in it's a whole different game..

Eliminating NFS will be one great added bonus..

Will read up on Cyrus..

This replication feature, is it brand new or has it been been tested well
by now?