DHCP error.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Thu Jul 6 21:10:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Brian Candler wrote:

|->On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:42:29AM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
|->
|->/etc/rc.local does still exists though (well, you need to create it
|->yourself, but if you do it is run at system startup time)

Hmm, I thought it had gone away.

|->
|->In the new world order, for isc-dhcpd installed from packages, all you do is
|->
|->dhcpd_enable="YES"

Yes, as Ive come to find.

|->in rc.conf. All the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* are run at bootup time,
|->but they only start the daemon if they have a corresponding foo_enable="YES"
|->in rc.conf. (Or _should_ ... maybe not all scripts have been converted over
|->yet)

I knew that, but I was not doing it right in this case and it was the cron
job for save-entropy that was causing grief.

|->It's just a shell script - you can read it. It saves state from the entropy
|->gathering, so if the machine is rebooted it the random number generator
|->doesn't start up in a predictable state.

Knew it had something to do with that, just wasnt quite sure of the
details.

|->> I suppose I could just comment that line in cron but I'm not sure what
|->> else it might break, nor do I want to as it was put there for a reason I'm
|->> sure. :)
|->
|->Other things run from cron, and you don't want those attempting to start
|->dhcpd as different users either. The solution is to move your
|->"/usr/sbin/dhcpd" command to /etc/rc.local

Aye, that I will try now that I know.

|->Yes if you are using ports, which have startup scripts in
|->/usr/local/etc/rc.d/. However if you are using isc-dhcpd compiled from
|->source, then rc.local is probably the right place, unless you put a suitable
|->script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
|->
|->But this still doesn't explain the "permission denied" error you see if you
|->start dhcpd as root (assuming you *are* trying to start it as root, that is)

I do some stuff from ports, some from source, and now that I know for sure
what to do that will fix that.

As for the permission denied, that would show up in the dhcpd log every 11
minutes. :)

Dhcpd was starting fine and running, but operator would try to start it
again every 11 mins from cron. Its been running fine now since I got the
rc.conf issue worked out.

Thanks muchly for this.

Keith