PPPoE

Alen Sarkinovic alen at smartnet.ba
Mon Apr 17 08:13:16 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "ovidiu" <ovidiue at unixware.ro>
To: "Alen Sarkinovic" <alen at smartnet.ba>
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: PPPoE

> Alen Sarkinovic wrote:
>
> >I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 on HP DL380 2xXeon 3.2GHz with 2GB DDR2  with 600
> >users simultaneous connections and traffic in/out about 20Mb on Ethernet
GB
> >card.
> >
> >Load averages: 4.54 max in peak time.
> >
> >Regarding my privies experience with slower machine system can handle all
> >request without any problems with
> >max load avr: 12.00

Yes it will help!

> Another question: what ISO you use: freebsd 5.4 i386 or amd64 ?

I'm using i386 !

> (The amd64 is on 64 bits, that should help to increase the speed of
> FreeBSD server, but I was not able to use amd64 iso because it stop
> booting when detecting the onboard RAID controller.)

You can check this and eventualy report to
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html

> And last question: what traffic shaping you use? I use pf with HFSC
> algorithm wich works fine for hundreads of queues but is not good for
> thousands, because is a linear algorithm.
>
> If you do not use pf HFSC, but pf with CBQ or  PRIQ or ipfw with
> dummynet, please tell me how do you succeed to have QoS. For example I
> need to have different pppoe connections with different speeds,
> guarantee bandwidth.

> I am looking for a long time for proper setting, i think Linux's HTB is
> better but I want to use FreeBSD.

I'm using pppoed on cable network and traffic shaping & QoS  was a part of
Dosis standard.
But IPFW is great solution, you can check WARTA on
http://www.hpi.net/whitepapers/warta/