PPP Windows XP into FreeBSD 4.11 with mgetty

Jan Knepper jan at digitaldaemon.com
Thu May 19 11:19:06 GMT 2005

Question....

I have set up my FreeBSD box with mgetty:

login.config:
/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/ppp -direct

ppp.conf:
default:
  enable passwdauth
  enable proxy
  set ifaddr 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.100-192.168.0.200
  accept dns
  set dns 65.204.18.242 65.204.18.243

Plain and simple....
Plain and simple for a Windows 2000 client that dials into the box,
connects and works....
Not so plain and simple for a Windows XP (Xtreme Pig) Prof client that
dials in, talks to mgetty, but never seems to cause mgetty to invoke ppp.
When I have a terminal window popup the W2K client gives the mgetty
login prompt. The WXP client gives cr*p, almost like the communication
between XP and the modem is not synchronized...

Any idea's?

Thanks!
Jan