info on starting an isp

RH Lists lists at 101.net
Fri May 6 08:21:07 PDT 2005

Chris,

Good luck.  With the possible exception of the prairies, Canada is a
terrible place to run an independent ISP. Trust me, I used to own one
(1995-2001).  The telcos and cable companies now own the residential
business. You can't get on cable, and the margin on DSL is too slim to run a
business unless you have several thousand clients.  Wireless can work, but
it is generally not cost-competitive with DSL or Cable. In general,
residential clients care only about price, not quality.  So you need to be
in an area where there is no high-speed competition.

On the corporate side, there is a possibility for profit, if you can get
creative, and provide better support than the big guys.

Now, I'm running the network at an ISP in Bermuda.  Here, there are still
margins. And the weather is better :)

Rob