SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server

Subhi S Hashwa lists at subhi.com
Thu Mar 3 14:44:29 GMT 2005

Friday, February 25, 2005, 9:52:49 AM, Christian Damm wrote:

> yes - without real load...it all depends on tuning the box/environment.
> amavisd/clamd/vexira (our second av scanner)/dspam dont get much mails
> delivered because of our extremely strict postfix anti spam config
> (mostily at the smtp level - BEFORE fully accepting the mail)...we block
> around 90-95% of junk at the doors and let the other (resource
> intensive) daemons/services do the final cleaning. also keep in mind
> that we are talking about an inbound antispam/virus gateway - no
> pop3/imap or stuff like that...drawback is: we cant integrate things
> like full av/spam quarantine into this system - but on the other hand we
> have an extremely low false positive rate (when it comes to
> RBL`s/DUL`s/RHSBL`s etc. im real "picky") - and greylisting also helps
> much (we use gld / http://www.gasmi.net/gld.html).

A good tip is to reject mailservers that EHLO/HELO as yourself or your
mailserver IP address at SMTP level. If you want something 'nastier' and may catch
some misconfigured genuine senders is to reject all servers that EHLO
with an IP address.

--
Best regards,
 Subhi S Hashwa                            mailto:lists at subhi.com
 When everything is heading your way, you're in the wrong lane.