Automatically kill run-away processes?

Jacob S stormspotter at 6Texans.net
Fri Apr 15 05:51:42 PDT 2005

Hello,

We have a server with a couple hundred clients on it. Normally it runs
great, with a load of 0.6 - 1.6, but occasionally someone runs a large
script or sends a lot of e-mails and makes the load go through the roof.

I know the Linux kernel has the "oom-killer" that will start killing
processes when it runs out of ram. Is there an equivalent for FreeBSD?

Also, is there any way I can add extra accounting details in the
logfiles? Such as, perhaps which script Apache ran that sent the
e-mails, etc? I know it may not be that straight forward, but if anybody
else has tricks for doing something similar to this, I would appreciate
it if they could share them with us.

TIA,
Jacob