Reduce effects of DDoS attack ...

Cody Baker cody at wilkshire.net
Thu Oct 7 08:48:09 PDT 2004

The packets your 200.046.204 machines are receiving are most likely ARP
packets, which are Ethernet level broadcast.  They can't really be
stopped with out dividing the physical network in to two pieces or
VLANs.  If your router supports VLANs, you can divide your subnet to one
portion of that catalyst switch, and the offending network to another
portion.  This is a good policy in terms of security, but it's not going
to fix your problem.  Unless you're extremely well connected to the
Internet (something greater than 10MB/s), you're problem has nothing to
do with anything on your network, rather the pipe between your network
and the world is just congested.  The other possibility is that your
router isn't able to keep up with the load.  I would suggest that your
best bet is to talk to your upstream provider, see if they can't block
the attack in anyway.

In regards to Matthew's response, the Cisco switch should be capable of
handling all but the most intense attacks.  In terms of the Linksys, the
only thing it's going to be seeing is the ARP packets, and while those
network wide broadcasts are detrimental, they're not going to be the
cause of 70% packet loss.

Thank you,

Cody Baker
cody at wilkshire.net