Affordable IP KVMs?

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Mon Jul 12 06:17:59 PDT 2004

Slightly off topic but I assume some people here would know one thing
or two about it...

I'm in the market for some bullet proof remote administration product
(most likely IP KVM but I'm open to other solutions). 99% of all work
I can obviously do with ssh but the remaining ones when the server is
actually DOWN is were fast fixing is required the most. So what do you
people use for remote access to boxes who don't repond anymore? Any
pointers to "cheap" IP KVMs (somewhere in the 1000$ range as opposed
to the 5000$ one at which point it's probably cheaper to get redundant
servers in first place...)?

(I know about the serial console and while it certainly has its uses,
I'm looking for something *really* bullet proof, enabling me to mess
with BIOS etc as well).