Anybody Use 2 or More CPU at Production Env. ( SMP )

Jim Durham jim.durham at nepinc.com
Tue Feb 17 19:25:51 PST 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 04:13 am, Olivier Cherrier wrote:
> >Seconded. We have a few hundred Dual SMP PIII and Dual Xeon (2.4Ghz w/
> >HT) machines running 4.9 without any hiccups whatsoever.
>
> Not so luck for me.
> I tried some times to run a 4.7-smp and 4.8-smp on a dual PIII - 733 MHz
> but I always falled in
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/48029
> which is still in the 'open' state.
>
> I can imagine that 5.x is far more stable.

I have just put on some Dell 2650's with Dual Xeons on 4.9. In 5 years of
running FreeBSD in a production environment, I had one wierd reboot a few
years ago and that's all, until the Dells. The mail server has been up since
September and it has rebooted once for no reason and the new file server has
been done it three times in a month.

i used to get 300 days and better of uptime with the old single-CPU systems,
so this is sort of unnerving. Really, I used to take them down only for
kernel upgrades and to blow out the dust!

No log entries, no panic messages..just ...gone suddenly and rebooting.

Seen anything like this at all with your Dual SMP Xeons?

-Jim