Performance RAID setup...

Mitch (bitblock) mitch at bitblock.com
Thu Aug 26 01:31:34 PDT 2004

Seeking opinions / satisfaction indicators... I'm looking at a new storage
server to be part of a quasi SAN (some home grown bits and pieces will run
on it)...

The platform we are considering is the INTEL SE7501WV2 SCSI MOTHERBOARD with
INTEL SRCU42L RAID CONTROLLER with Dual Xeon processors and a chunk of RAM
of course ;-)

One floating consideration is the hard drive configuration and the relative
performance.

I could go with 6 73GB 15000 RPM drives in two RAID 5 sets, or I could go
with 6 146GB 10000RPM drives in RAID mirrors.

The goal is to provide a NFS / SAMBA server for 4 - 20 application servers.

Anyone have any value for dollar comments?

Suggestions or stats on what will run better?

MUCH appreciated.

Mitch.