What is PPPoed?

Bikrant bikrant_ml at wlink.com.np
Sun Apr 25 03:42:31 PDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 19:38, JJB wrote:
> Gleb
>
> I see from the mailing list that you are currently helping Bikrant
> with his 'pppoed crashed' problem. In 5 years on this list I have
> not seen pppoed ever mentioned and was even unaware of it's
> existents.
>
> I all ready did my homework reading the man pppoed and googleing.
>
> The 'man pppoed' documentation is very cryptic and gives absolutely
> no insight as to the conditions under which a person would need to
> use it, as well as no instructions on how to enable it. Not until I
> read Bikrant's post containing his rc.conf statements did I realize
> that pppoed was something different that 'user pppoe'. From my
> search for documentation I am surprised at the fact that Bikrant
> even found out about the rc.conf statement needed it enable it.
>
> I already know that pppoed is different than 'user pppoe'.
> I know under what conditions someone would use 'user pppoe'.
>
> Would you or Bikrant please post any reference web sites or links to
> documentation on pppoed that you have used to learn about using and
> configuring pppoed as I would like to learn more about this pppoed
> function?

Hi joe,
	pppoe is Point to point protocol over ethernet. You can use the service to
authenticate Lan/wireless/adsl users before they start using internet. I'm
using the service to authenticate and shape bandwith (by running script when
the ppp interface comes up) of my wireless users.

I hope you got the idea.

http://w3.itoh.net/pppoe3.html

with regards,
Bikrant